Thomas Sinden were appointed by the London Borough of Hillingdon to deliver the expansion of Hillside Infant and Junior School. Expanding a 2FE junior and infant school (459 pupils) to a 3FE junior and infant school (675 pupils).
Our works included the design and build of a new 3 storey stand-alone main teaching block of approx. 2122 m2 together with adaptations to the existing buildings, external works and drainage improvements. Existing redundant buildings were demolished as part of these works.
- The new building accommodates 12 new classrooms, hall, kitchen, group spaces, staff and administration space and associated storage, toilets and cloak areas.
- The reorganisation and rationalisation of the existing staff car park together with provision of a new ‘drop‐off’ facility via a second access point to facilitate an ‘in & out’ route.
- External works included remodelling the existing entrance, reorientation of the sports pitch and provision of a new two court MUGA.
- New hard and soft landscaping.
- The existing buildings for refurbishment were of a system build type structure and required some adaptations to create useable classrooms and toilet facilities.
The new building is energy efficient with automated lighting control throughout, passive ventilation strategy and photovoltaic systems providing energy savings.
The works were phased to ensure the school could remain operational throughout the construction period.